This fried rice recipe is very simple and a great option for one of those nights where it’s a struggle to get a dinner on the table. I love fried rice and with a few modifications, you can easily make it gluten-free and vegan.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 2 tbsp sesame oil, divided
- 1/4 cup green onions (plus more for garnish)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1/3 cup soy sauce or tamari (I use San-J gluten free tamari)
- 2 tbsp chopped peanuts
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- In a medium saucepan, add rice and water. Bring to boil, then cover and simmer for approximately 20 minutes until rice is done.
- Transfer rice to a bowl and place in the fridge to cool (warm rice will make your friend rice too moist).
- Place a large frying pan over medium heat with 1 tbsp sesame oil. Saute broccoli and green onion until tender.
- Add rice, carrot and peas and mix together well. Stir in soy sauce/tamari until rice is completely covered. Add a bit more if needed. Cook until rice has been warmed and peas are no longer frozen.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with sesame seeds, peanuts and a bit more green onion.