Vegan cheese sauce? Now that’s an oxymoron! But seriously, this recipe works great with nachos, mac and cheese and over top of broccoli. I normally double this recipe and freeze the leftovers for another use. This recipe is relatively simple to make and you won’t even miss the non-vegan version once you’ve tried this!
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup peeled and diced russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup peeled and diced sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup peeled and diced carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup water from boiled veggies
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Place raw cashews in medium bowl and cover with boiling water to soften
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat and saute garlic for a couple of minutes
- Add potatoes (both types), carrots and onions and mix well. Cover with water and boil until the veggies are soft.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer veggies to a blender along with drained cashews, 3/4 cup water from boiled veggies and all other ingredients and blend on high speed until completely smooth.
- Use in any recipe or dish that can benefit from some cheesy sauce. Pouring over some gluten free pasta will make a great gluten free dinner!