As I start experimenting with the idea of a vegan diet, I am happy to be having some success altering my gluten free recipes to make them vegan as well. I came across a great cheat sheet to help beginner vegans bakers from PETA:
How handy is this? With these helpful tips in mind, I recreated my ginger snap recipe for a vegan diet.
- 3/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 3 tbsp water (egg replacement)
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup teff flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
- 1 1/2 tsp xantham gum
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- In a small bowl, combine ground flax seed with water and place in fridge for approximately 10 minutes to set.
- Mix flour, xantham gum, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in a medium bowl.
- In a mixing bowl, combine melted coconut oil with sugar, molasses and flax seed mixture. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
- Chill dough for 30 minutes
- Roll dough into small balls (about the size of a ping pong ball) and roll into white sugar. Place cookies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 8 minutes until tops of cookies are cracked.