I love eating soup – especially on cold winter days. This soup is filling, flavourful and best of all, vegan & gluten free.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 4 cups of broccoli, chopped
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup pinenuts
- salt to taste
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (adds a cheesy flavour to the soup and full of B vitamins, iron and folic acid – just make sure it’s gluten free. I use the Bob’s Red Mill brand)
- pepper to taste
- Garnishes: green onion, parsley, coconut yogurt (optional)
- Place cashews into a glass bowl cover with boiling water. Set aside. The cashews will be used to thicken your soup.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place broccoli on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and drizzle with olive oil. Toss broccoli to coat and sprinkle with salt. Cook in oven for 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Reduce heat to 375. Transfer the parchment paper with the broccoli onto the counter or cutting board and line your baking sheet with a new piece of parchment. Place pine nuts on the baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. Toast pine nuts in the oven for about five minutes, turning halfway through. Pine nuts should be lightly toasted and fragrant.
- In a large soup pot, heat a bit of olive oil and saute onion, celery, carrot and garlic until onion is softened (about 5 minutes).
- Add vegetable broth, water and broccoli (reserve a few pieces of broccoli to garnish your soup if you want). Bring soup to a boil, then cover and simmer until all the vegetables are soft.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the soup with the drained cashews until smooth. Mix in nutritional yeast and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the soup back into your pot. Heat and serve. Garnish with extra broccoli pieces, green onion, chopped parsley and/or coconut yogurt. ENJOY!