Although, the variety of gluten free pastas are expanding in the grocery stores, there are still some options which are not available or hard to find. Cannelloni is one of these options, but luckily, lasagna noodles can be used as a substitute to make a wonderful gluten free beef cannelloni dinner.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 12 Gluten Free Lasagna Noodles
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup GF breadcrumbs
- chopped parsley and thyme
- 1 egg
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup white wine
- one jar of your favourite pasta sauce (make sure it’s Gluten Free)
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a large baking dish.
- Fill an extra large pot with water and a pinch of salt and bring to boil. It’s very important to have a very large pot in order to give the noodles enough space to cook and reduce the chance of the noodles from sticking together (a challenge with corn or rice pastas). Drain noodles once done and rinse with cold water. Lay the noodles out one by one on a large cutting board or plate and set aside
- In a large frying pan, brown the ground beef and drain off fat. Return beef to pan and add onion and garlic. Cook until softenend. Let cool (place in fridge if desired).
- In a large bowl, mix the cooled beef mixture with the breadcrumbs, parsley and thyme. Add the egg, wine, ricotta cheese, salt and pepper.
- Cover bottom of the baking dish with a thin layer of pasta sauce. Carefully roll the lasagna noodles and with one hand cupped under each lasagna roll place a few spoonfulls of the beef mixture into the roll.
- Place the cannelloni seam side down in the baking dish. Once all the cannelloni has been placed in the baking dish, top with remaining pasta sauce.
- Cover with alumimum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese to serve