These gluten free muffins are a great treat over the holidays and are very easy to make! Best of all, they are kid friendly – my one year old son enjoys them just as much as I do for breakfast.
Ingredients – Makes 12 muffins
- 1 cup sorghum flour (neutral flavour, most ‘wheat-like’ of all GF flours, use more liquid with this flour)
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch (lightens the texture of baked goods)
- 1 tsp fruit pectin (adds moisture)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 tsp ascorbic acid (helps increase shelf life of bread and give bread more volume)
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (make sure they are gluten free)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with muffin cups and set aside
- In a medium bowl, combine sorghum flour, tapioca starch, fruit pectin, baking powder, baking soda, ascorbic acid, xantham gum, sea salt and cinnamon. Add brown sugar and mix well.
- In a large bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, egg whites and orange juice. Mix using an electric mixer. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Add in cranberries.
- Use a large spoon to divide batter into the muffin cups
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until done