Macaroons are an easy gluten free treat to make. They are a favourite with my family and a great dessert option to make for a large crowd.
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 egg white, whipped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 (14 ounce) package sweetened flaked coconut
- Maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven 325 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whip sweetened condensed milk and egg white. Add extracts and1 package of coconut; mix well. If the mixture is too runny, open the second bag of coconut and add a bit at a time until it reaches the desired, sticky, non-runny consistency. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets; slightly flatten each mound with a spoon.
- Make a small hole in the centre of each macaroon and place 1/2 maraschino cherry inside.
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Immediately remove from baking sheets (macaroons will stick if allowed to cool); cool on wire racks. Store loosely covered at room temperature.
Other filling options:
- Dip in melted chocolate after the macaroons have been baked and cooled
- Add a piece of almond in middle
- Jam/jelly in centre (before baking)
- Add lemon or orange zest to batter