This evening, I met with two girlfriends for dinner at Bar Mercurio located at Bloor West and St. George in Toronto. The restaurant is small and cozy and I would definitely recommend making a reservation, as it gets quite busy for dinner. The gluten free options were typical of most restaurants who cater to a gluten free diet – rice pasta and gluten free pizza. I chose their ‘pesto pizza’ which was topped with chicken, potato, asparagus, mozzarella and pesto. The crust was very thin and crunchy but a tad bit oily for my taste. However, the crust did taste like a regular thin crust pizza and the toppings were delicious.
- Taste: 4/5
- Gluten Free Options: 4/5
- Price: $16 – $30 for main dish – alcohol was quite pricey (i.e. $12 for a glass of wine with limited selection – most wines were only offered by the bottle starting at $40)
- Server Knowledge: 4/5 – server was aware of the gluten free options, however, I always appreciate when servers take the extra step to explain their preparation methods to make you feel more at ease with any potential for cross contamination, etc.
- Other: the menu indicated that gluten free pasta and pizza takes an extra 20 minutes to prepare and an extra $4
- Address: 270 Bloor Street West (Bloor and St. George), Toronto
- Phone: 416-960-3877
- Website: http://www.barmercurio.com/aboutMercurio.html
- Type of Food: Italian