I learned a new cooking concept with this recipe – how to temper an egg. I had no idea what this meant, but it is a handy technique where you bring the temperature of the egg up to the temperature of the hotter ingredients you are mixing the egg with. This technique basically ensures that you don’t end up with scrambled eggs in your dish. For this recipe, you will need to temper an egg and then mix it into the spaghetti dish.
Pesto Chicken: Ingredients – Serves 4
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Toast almonds in a small skillet. Place into a food processor with spinach, basil, lemon juice, and garlic. Pulse to combine. With processor sill on, stream in the olive oil until the mixture forms into a thick pesto.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Rub all sides of chicken with pesto. Turn oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Broil chicken for 5 minutes on each side – test to ensure chicken is fully cooked through.
Garlic Lemon Spaghetti: Ingredients – Serves 4
- 1 lb gluten free spaghetti
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (make sure it’s gluten free)
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Cook spaghetti and reserve 1/4 cup starchy water to temper eggs
- In a skillet, saute garlic with olive oil for 2 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce, spinach, pepper, nutmeg and juice of one lemon. Cook until spinach has wilted.
- Temper eggs – beat egg yolks in a small bowl and slowly add reserved starchy water until fully combined. Turn off heat to skillet and add cooked spaghetti and tempered eggs. Add parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Plate spaghetti and sprinkle spaghetti with a bit more parmesan cheese. Top spaghetti with pesto chicken