These squares are tasty and great as a summer treat. They remind me of lemon meringue pie – minus the gluten, of course!
• 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
• 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 cup sweet rice flour
• 1/4 cup tapioca starch
• 1/4 cup potato starch
Cream Cheese Filling:
• 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
• 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
• 1 large egg
• 1 teaspoon lemon extract
• 4 large egg yolks
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
• 3/4 cup water
• 2 medium lemons, grated, for 2 teaspoons lemon peel, and squeezed for 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F
2. Prepare the shortbread crust: Cream butter and sugar in medium bowl. Add vanilla extract and mix until combined. Add sweet rice flour, tapioca & potato starch and mix at low speed until fully incorporated. Press dough evenly into bottom of an 8-inch square baking pan. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
3. Prick shortbread crust with fork and bake for 30 minutes or until crust turns golden brown.
4. Cool on rack to room temperature.
5. Make the cream cheese filling: beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth in medium bowl. Add egg and lemon extract and beat at medium speed until light and smooth. Cover bowl tightly and refrigerate.
6. Make the lemon curd: Blend the egg yolks with the cornstarch and sugar in a medium size pan. Place over low heat and slowly whisk in water and lemon juice. Increase heat to medium low and cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat. Add lemon peel and butter and cool for 10 minutes.
7. Assemble the bars: Spread chilled cream cheese filling evenly over cooled shortbread crust with spatula. Spread lemon curd evenly over cream cheese filling. Place pan in center of oven. Bake 30
minutes or until edges begin to turn light golden brown. Cool to room temperature on rack. Chill in refrigerator 1 hour before cutting into bars.