This morning, Emily woke up early from her nap. I usually go out for a walk when Emily wakes up early, which makes Jerry very happy. Unfortunately, when I peeked outside both Jerry and I were disappointed to see gray clouds and rain. So, instead of walking, we all gathered in the kitchen to bake. Emily on the floor with some measuring spoons, Jerry at my feet trying to catch anything edible that might fall from the counter and me mixing up some delicious lemon pecan biscotti….gluten free of course.
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp xantham gum
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup crushed pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet
- Mix together the flours, baking soda, xantham gum and salt
- Cream together sugar and butter in a separate bowl. Add eggs, one at a time and mix. Add lemon zest and mix
- Add dry ingredients into wet mixture 1/3 cup at a time.
- Add crushed pecans and mix with a spoon
- Lay out dough onto baking sheet in the size of a log (makes two logs)
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Remove from oven. Let cool 10 minutes. Remove from baking sheet and transfer to cooling rack for 30 minutes
- Cut logs into biscotti shaped pieces (I usually cut the biscotti into three rows and then cut lengthwise into three pieces)
- Stand pieces on their sides and bake another 10 – 15 minutes – 10 minutes if you prefer softer biscotti/15 minutes for crispier biscotti.
I have also tried orange zest/chocolate and cinnamon biscotti, which turned out well.