Lasagna is one of those dishes that takes a while to make from scratch but it is worth the extra work once you take the first bite. Emily must have known I was making lasagna this morning, because she took an extra long nap so that I could finish making the entire meal without interruptions. The pre-made lasagna are always a great alternative, but unfortunately, there is no gluten-free version out yet. So here is my gluten-free version:
1 lb hot Italian sausage (check ingredients to make sure there is no gluten)
3/4 lb lean ground beef
1/2 cup minced white onion
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
2 cans tomato paste
2 (6.5 oz) cans tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp white sugar
1/2 cup fresh basil
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
2 tsp Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup fresh parsley
12 Gluten Free lasagna noodles
16oz ricotta cheese with a dash of nutmeg
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
1) Cook sausage, ground beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in tomatoes, paste, sauce & water. Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and half of parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
2) Cook lasagna noodles and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta, dash of nutmeg, egg, parsley and salt.
3) Preheat oven to 375 degrees
4) Put together lasagna – Layer #1: sauce, noodles, mozzarella, Parmesan/Layer #2: sauce, noodles, ricotta, parmesan/Layer #3: sauce, noodles, mozzarella, parmesan
5) Bake in preheated oven covered with foil for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before serving.
Great meal to share with a large group…..or great for lots of leftovers!