I recently purchased a slow cooker and put it to work as soon as possible. I love the idea of making dinner quickly and with a little preparation in the morning, you can produce a delicious meal quite easily. The following recipe was a hit with my husband and 2-year old daughter as the pot roast came out very tender with tonnes of flavour. The only trick to this recipe is finding the right brand of dressing mixes and gravy mixes that do not contain gluten…..make sure that you read the ingredients on the labels carefully.
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 (2 1/2 pound) boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 tbsp packaged dry gravy mix (I used ClubHouse Onion Gravy Mix – click here to see more information/ingredients. It was a challenge to find a gravy mix that didn’t contain wheat so please read all labels carefully)
- 2 tbsp packaged ranch dressing mix (I used ClubHouse Ranch Style Dressing – click here to see more information/ingredients)
- 1 1/2 tbsp packaged Italian dressing mix (I used ClubHouse Italian Dressing – click here to see more information/ingredients)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch with 1/4 cup water
- Grease the inside of the slow cooker with some olive oil
- Place sliced onion pieces along the bottom of slow cooker
- Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. Spread brown rice flour onto your work surface and roll the roast in the flour until lightly coated. Place on top of the onion.
- Combine the water, gravy mix, dressing mixes, rosemary and oregano in a small bowl – whisk together. Pour mixture over top of the roast.
- Distribute vegetable of choice (i.e. diced potatoes, carrots, etc.) around the roast if desired.
- Cover the slow cooker, set to low and cook for approximately 8 hours
- Remove roast and veggies from slow cooker. Pour gravy from slow cooker into a small saucepan. Heat gravy over medium high heat. Mix together cornstarch with 1/4 cup water. Pour cornstarch mixture into gravy to thicken
- Slice roast and serve with gravy.